We know that attracting and retaining the best employees requires more than just a good salary, so we provide a wide range of benefits and services to meet the needs of our diverse workforce, including an excellent benefits package that includes benefits until age 65 and a fixed-term retirement pension.
To meet the demands of our varied workforce, we realize the need of providing a wide range of benefits and services.
- Medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Retirement Benefits
- Ontario Municipal Employees’ Retirement Savings (OMERS)
Health, Dental, Life, and Long-Term Disability Insurance
The City of Burlington’s health, dental, life insurance, and long-term disability programs are managed by our benefits provider. There are four unions in the city, as well as a non-union employee organization. To satisfy the demands of a varied workforce, each employee group has its own set of benefits. All full-time employees and part-time employees who work an average of 28 hours per week are eligible for benefits. The city covers all premiums, including family coverage, in full.
All of our benefit plans include coverage for the following:
- Medical insurance, which covers prescription drugs, hospitalization, vision care, and out-of-province travel.
- Dental benefits, including regular cleanings, orthodontics for dependent children, dentures, bridges, and crowns • Life insurance at two times the employee’s income
- Coverage of benefits from the time you retire until you reach the age of 65
Employees can also use payroll deduction to acquire optional Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment policies.
Plan de retraite
A financially safe pension plan is an important part of retirement preparation. The Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement Savings Plan is a member of the City of Burlington (OMERS). Employees contribute to their retirement savings through payroll deduction. Being an OMERS member gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
- A lifetime pension payment depending on your wages and years of employment with OMERS
- Options for early retirement
- Excellent survivor benefits
- Disability benefits
- Inflation protection
Assistance to Employees and Their Families
Employees and their families may use the assistance of our confidential Employee Family Assistance Program from time to time (EFAP). Our EFAP can help you:
- Manage and end your addictions
- Manage your relationships and family
- Find child and eldercare services
- Get financial clarity
- Improve your personal well-being
- Learn about nutrition